Duane Wilson has been feeding Dave and me for the past 13+ years. Duane was president of the Port Norfolk Civic League when we move to the neighborhood. There weren’t many others willing to take office at that time; he clearly needed some help.
I was immediately drafted to serve as recording secretary and corresponding secretary (little did I know, these were two distinct and labor-intensive jobs). Duane was thrilled to have help and he has thanked us hundredfold over the years.
He lives just three blocks from our home and he phones us at least once a week with an invitation to head to his house for dinner. Dave and I have learned to anticipate a call on Sunday night, when Duane is prone to be “cleaning out” his refrigerator. He didn’t call this week, so we rang him and asked if he had any leftovers on… and by golly, he did!
He’s such a generous person that, in addition to feeding us, he has also:
- Installed (with Dave and sometimes me) all four copper roofs on our house.
- Let Dave paint the porch flooring in his garage.
- Hosted our wedding shower at his house.
- Taken us along to his daughter’s wedding (as his date — hee, hee!)
- Thrown my 40th birthday party at his house.
- Introduced us to dozens of his friends over the years.
Duane and I have learned yoga and opera-appreciation together. Our attendance at the opera is due to his girlfriend Julie; we all enjoy our time with the opera crowd.
It’s wonderful to have Duane, Julie, his Kitty Kat — and others from his group like Ann, Clara and Jimmy, Ken and Sally, Eric and Ann — to count among our friends.